<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 20, 2004

U2 HTDAAB update 

So, the album release is two days away. If you want to listen to the album though, head over to U2.com and look in the news section. They have streams of the entire album available in Quicktime, Real and Windows Media. I have been listening to the album for a while now, but havent formed an opinion yet. Its certainly a fantastic album, but is it as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? Plenty of reviews suggest its their best album yet, like Jon Pareles for example. Other raves include Rolling Stone, Blender, Guardian, USA Today and so on.

BTW, you can watch U2 perform at the opening ceremony of the Clinton Presidential Library on C-SPAN (about 1 hr 5 mins in). You can also find the Bit Torrent files of the performance.

In other news of relevance to New Yorkers, U2 are performing on Saturday Night Live tonight. Standby tickets for the dress rehearsal (8 pm) and the main show (11:30 pm) might be available. KRock Radio is organising a listening party tomorrow with all 4 bandmembers.

And for reading this blog for the past how many ever months, here's the real scoop. U2 are doing a secret New York City concert on Monday the 22nd to lauch the new album. To the best of my information, the venue is Washington Square Park (How to Dismantle Washington Sq Park?). Get there by about 1 pm, I'd say. The concert is expected to take off anytime between 1 pm and 3 pm. And please try not to circulate this information beyond serious U2 fans. This is a concert for fans and it would be crazy if 20,000 people showed up. If I hear of any changes in schedule, I'll update it on here.

PS: For what its worth, I think HTDAAB is U2's second best album. Achtung Baby being the best, of course. I might change my mind as I keep listening though.

PPS: Radio 1 has an interesting version of 'Vertigo' by Nemar.

UPDATE: Okay, now U2log is suggesting that the concert is in Washington Sq Park. However, someone on a mailing list I am on ran into Bono at the SNL taping yesterday and apparently Bono said Brooklyn Bridge was where the big concert was being held. As it turns out, there is a big surprise party hosted by MTV tomorrow at Empire Fulton Ferry State Park featuring "one of the world's biggest bands." I think we can safely assume who that is. I have tickets to that event already. If any of you are seriously interested in going to this gig and would like tickets (they're free), shoot me an e-mail and I'll tell you how to get them.

UPDATE: The free concert is definitely, definitely on at Empire Fulton Ferry State Park tomorrow just across from Manhattan. Get there between 1:30 and 2:00 pm to be on the safe side. I dont know yet about WSP. Maybe it was a decoy.