<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Google Ad Sense makes no sense 

As regular readers may have noticed, I signed up to Google Ad Sense after a couple of years of holding out. I was driven more by curiosity than by anything else ($4 a month is a rounding error even to the owner of this blog) on how Google's algorithm scanned content and served up relevant ads. On the evidence thus far, Ad Sense is not doing very well. My last few posts have been on a Amartya Sen/Jeff Sachs lecture, a Vikram Seth interview, Faux News' interpretation of history and an impromtu Arcade Fire concert in NYC.

The ads being served by Google all day today? "Bitter Ex-Boyfriend. With Blog. Bad Combo. Great read for Teens." WTF? What is it about Amartya Sen and Vikram Seth that the Google algorithm interprets as worthy of a bitter ex-boyfriend blog anyway? That said, optimist that I am, I remain hopeful that these are in fact the sort of ads that you, dear reader, will be clicking furiously through, to pave my way to great advertising riches. Thanks in advance.