<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A pilgrimage 

Ladies and gentlemen, please take a look at this very special place I visited a couple of weeks ago.

This is no ordinary ground. This is the Melbourne Cricket Ground, known to all cricket fans as "The MCG" and to Melburnians as simply "The 'G". This is where it began; this is where the first ever international Test Match was played, between Australia and England in March 1877. This view is from as high in the stands as possible: the topmost row of the members' stand.

Melbourne is a terrific city to visit and I recommend it highly. I wanted to post random little observations about the place while I was there in June, but work and sightseeing kept me a tad too busy. I may yet get around to posting some memories over the next few days. The executive summary is that it's very food-loving and sports-loving. And, of course, the water in the toilet bowls drains clockwise and the people walk with their heads downwards.

As a parting shot, I leave you with a glimpse of the batsman's view of the ground. Standing in the middle was the pilgrimage moment.