<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Asimov on the national anthem of the United States 

Following up on Reuben's post just below, let me encourage all ZS readers to get familiar with the U.S. national anthem. In its entirety. I'm sure most readers are familiar with the first stanza of the Francis Scott Key poem that is usually sung as "the national anthem" but not many might know the other three stanzas or even the fact that there are three more. I myself learnt this only as late as 1997, when I chanced upon Isaac Asimov's excellent piece "All Four Stanzas" that I hereby urge you to read.

I happen to agree with Asimov and not with my friend Walker who is one of many to have suggested an alternative anthem.

Relatedly, Indian readers of ZS might want to try recalling all five stanzas of the Tagore poem whose first stanza is sung as India's national anthem. I have to admit that I do not know the other stanzas by heart.