<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Blogger comments 

Folks, following up on the last post, I have decided to shift comments on Zoo Station from Blogextra to Blogger's own commenting system. I had used Blogextra in the first place because Blogger did not offer any commenting software when I first started ZS, and so, we had to pay to use Blogextra as our commenting software. When Blogger started offering comments software, I did not move immediately because it seemed like I would lose all the comments on the blog as a result. Today, Anand pointed me to an interesting article in the Blogger FAQ that allowed us to insert code that would literally allow us to have our cake and eat it too. It would save all the previous comments in the old format while transitioning all new comments onto Blogger.

Seems like the code has worked for the most part, except that all the comments for May seem to have dissapeared. However, that seems to me a small price to pay for the ability to use Blogger software. What's more, with Blogger commenting, you will not run up against the annoying 1000-word limit that many of you have complained about in the past. To those who posted comments in May, I will try to look through the code to see what has gone wrong in the template and try to fix it. If I cannot, I apologise in advance, but hopefully the ease of commenting will make up? And if you have any ideas on why the comments for one month alone seem to have dissapeared, please let me know.

UPDATE: In the meanwhile, I have dug into the blogextra archives and dug out some of the most interesting comments from the past month and inserted it into Blogger comments. So, Sanjay, all your writing is now safe, I think :)