<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 21, 2005

The Greatest American 

(Via Dan Drezner) Discovery Channel and AOL have launched a poll to discover the greatest American of all time. Drezner himself seems to think Lincoln was the greatest. Can't find fault with that, really. If you scroll down his comments, you'll get a lot more ideas. I just haven't figured out whether naturalized citizens like, say, an Albert Einstein carry the same weight as a Lincoln or a Jefferson in the minds of people.

I haven't thought up a list yet, but I think Benjamin Franklin would probably be in my list of top 5 Americans of all time. So would Bob Dylan (or one of the blues greats) for the impact on pop culture. So would Mark Twain perhaps? Harry Truman? I don't know yet....there are a LOT of names to choose from. Feel free to suggest a lot more names.