<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Hong Kong Blog 

I'm going to toot my own horn very briefly, but a new site by my students has just gone live at Chatter Garden. It's a site that discusses regional politics and public affiars for HK and China, so I welcome anyone who wants to visit or contribute. It's part of the growing trend of citizen journalism, and this is an attempt to try it for Hong Kong.

My first post is about the story that is hot right now in HK - the demolition of perfectly good, fully built and finished high rise buildings because the developer feels they can get better with even higher buildings built in a luxury style. This was a botched public housing estate, and there is public outcry over the sale of the property and flats for a price below market value, providing perhaps a HK $6 billion (US $800 million) windfall. See for yourself whether this is a scandal.