<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 11, 2004

Wonkette at Columbia 

Wonkette is a blog I thoroughly enjoy reading. Noone is bitchier about beltway politics than Wonkette. So, I was thrilled to actually go hear Ana Marie Cox in person at Columbia. I spent some time afterwards chatting with her. First off, she's married (why did it seem otherwise?). Secondly, she's a remarkably cool and down-to-earth individual who had some really funny stories to share about Joe Lockhart and the *least* powerful men in Washington (apparently there's a federal bureau that does nothing but convert from metric). Thirdly, Tucker Carlson thought she was a conservative!!

She also had some interesting thoughts about political blogs. In response to a question I had posed about the NYT carrying a story about Faux News's Carl Cameron making up Kerry quotes without crediting Josh Marshall, who had in fact broken the story, she seemed to think that was the nature of the game -- the big guy not giving a damn about the little guy. Apparently, the NYT would do the same if it appropriated a story from a smaller news outlet. Interesting strategy to become the newspaper of record, I'd say.

Anyway, hearing Ms Cox convinced me I needed to come out of my self-imposed exile from blogging (mostly due to travel). To celebrate the occasion of meeting Wonkette, I have also added a new link to her blog. Enjoy.