<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Scambaiting: The Church of the Painted Breast 

Who hasnt received one of those scam e-mails from Nigerian con-men posing as everyone from Miriam Abacha to Joesph Kabila. This has been an ongoing prank, which would be rather funny if it werent for the fact that some naive sorts have actually lost money by believing these scams. Apparently, one of these 419 e-mail scamsters has got his comeuppance. The BBC has the details with photographic evidence in tow. And it is hilarious. Here is a quick sample of some of the back-and-forth between the scamster (Prince Joe Eboh) and the scam-buster (Mike, alias Father Hector Barnett).

Dear Sir,
I would dearly love to help you. If you ever decide to join our faith then of course I could help you both with my experience and financial support. I wish you well in your endeavour my brother. Yours, Father Hector Barnett

Dear Father Hector,
If joining your faith is what it takes to help me of course, I am ready to join you. I'm from a good Christian family. I will do anything you want me to do in the faith. Don't forget that I have to transfer the money to your account as urgently as possible. Send me your account details. I hope to read your mail soon. Prince Joe Eboh

Dear Joe,
Our ministry was founded in 1774 by a wonderful lady by the name of Betsy Carrington. She spent many of her first preaching years in Kenya, spreading the holy gospel amongst the local people there. She was the first person male or female to promote Christian texts and beliefs to the Masai warrior tribe. The most famous account is when as a test she had to remove the top part of her clothes and paint the top half of her body and breast with the red Masai war-paint as a gesture of faith and belief to them so that they would accept her and trust her. She was almost immediately accepted by them and was one of the most trusted westerners known at that time.

As a qualification to enter the Holy Church of The Order of The Red Breast, all followers must go through the initiation procedure that Miss Carrington made so famous. I have attached a photograph of four of our young inductees going through the procedure. Please use this picture to enable you to make the same marking on yourself. I have also attached a small picture showing the design in more detail. I look forward to welcoming you into our membership my brother. Father Hector Barnett Financial Development - Holy Church of The Order of The Red Breast.

Dear Brother Hector,
I want to thank the Almighty God himself for the opportunity I have to be a member of this great church The Holy Church Of The Painted Breast. I'm looking forward to establishing a branch of the Church here. But I'll like us to finish everything about the business proposal, which I sent to you earlier...

"He then tried to hit me for $18,000 for processing fees for transferring millions," Mike says. He wrote back as Father Hector, saying that the church had plenty of money, but there was a withdrawal fee of $80. "I persuaded him to send me the $80, which he did, inside a birthday card, by courier," Mike says. Father Hector of the Church of the Painted Breast then entered a troubling period of religious uncertainty.

Dear Joe,
This is your good friend Hector Barnett. Please do not be alarmed that I am contacting you from a different e-mail address. I will explain what has happened. I have been troubled recently after the death of a dear friend of mine, Minnie Mowse. She was a very, very dear friend indeed, and her death affected me greatly and started to make me question my faith. I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus. I have already made two very good friends, and tomorrow I will be starting my circus training with them...


It's much better with the photographs and more context :)