<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 16, 2004

Martian Chronicler gets excited 

I haven't had that much good stuff to say about Team Bush in the past 4-some years. However, there are two recent measures of the administration that definitely deserve applause. First, there was the measure on immigration (which I have not read enough about) and the second was the announcement of the Moon/Mars gig, even assuming that the timing was purely political. Though the Mars spiel wasn't quite in the same league as Kennedy's moon speech, it has earned Team Bush plaudits from some unforeseen quarters -- in this case, Ray Bradbury.

We can't stay on Earth forever. We've got to move on. It's time we went to Mars to build a colony there. The science fiction author says he has been in touch with the White House. "I've called President Bush to offer my help; so let's see if he responds."

I am not entirely sure about the Moon mission. I sure hope it doesn't become a space-station type white elephant that drains resources from the real kahuna -- Mars. I also think the Mars mission would work better as a collaborative international project, especially since there are no more cold war-type enemies to prove a point to.