<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 11, 2003

The Immersive Salvador Dali Experience 

A few weeks back, I had made a post about the Hayden Planetarium's foray into the world of psychedelic spectacles -- a new 35-minute show called SonicVision. So, I finally did go see the show tonight. Two words -- absolutely mindboggling. I have often wondered what the early psychedelic experiments of Pink Floyd etc must have seemed like to the audiences at the Roundhouse and the Marquee. I think I got some idea today. The best way to explain the show would be to imagine being on the inside of a series of Salvador Dali paintings, something like Premonition of Civil War or Metamorphosis of Narcissus. Add a soundtrack mixed by Moby including songs by U2, Coldplay, David Bowie, Zwan, Radiohead etc and you sort of get the picture.

I would strongly recommend the show to anyone in the New York city area or visiting New York in the near future. The other option would be to wait for the show to travel to other cities, which I am sure it will in due course.