<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Clark on the invariance of light 

Gen clark's interest in all things technological has been epitomized, thus far, by his post as chairman of the board of Wavecrest Labs, a start-up promoting a potentially revolutionary electric propulsion system. Now, Wired is carrying a story on Gen Clark's views on the invariance of light. Briefly, the General believes that science might just find a way around the invariance of light as postulated by special relativity.

"I still believe in e=mc², but I can't believe that in all of human history, we'll never ever be able to go beyond the speed of light to reach where we want to go," said Clark. "I happen to believe that mankind can do it." "I've argued with physicists about it, I've argued with best friends about it. I just have to believe it. It's my only faith-based initiative." Clark's comment prompted laughter and applause from the gathering.

This is the sort of statement that could prompt derision from conservatives since it implies the possibility of time-travel etc. However, I happen to think having such a vision is a lot better than saying "more and more of our imports are coming from abroad." Wired suggests that Gen. Clark's vision might also have to do with his familiarity with military technology.

Personally, I firmly believe in special relativity based on what we know and have proof of today. But, I also keep in mind that more than one scientist was burned at the stake or jailed for daring to suggest that the solar system might be heliocentric, going against the conventional wisdom of the day -- geocentricity.