<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Billions for Bombay 

Bombay is a city I spent a few wonderful years in. Though I did get tired of the city, I continue to be very fond of it, especially when I visit for a few days at a time. So, I used to wonder why the city was allowing the attrition of businesses, especially to the booming southern cities. In fact, a report I once read predicted that the GDP of Bangalore would overtake Bombay by about 2008, though Bangalore has only one-third the population. Jayshree Bajoria reports the results of a new McKinsey study, according to which Bombay needs investments worth at least $10 billion over 10 years to be competetive with other commercial hubs like Shanghai, Dubai and Singapore.

The report strikes an optimistic note by suggesting that Bombay could actually raise that money quite easily, especially if it grew at 8-10% per year. The government has clearly taken note of the report and has announced that it would contribute $1.3 billion to the Mumbai Infrastructure Fund. Amen.