<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 23, 2003

The worm and I 

I have never been so pained by an Internet worm as I have with this goddamn sobig.f worm. This morning, for example, I woke up to find my inbox stuffed with some 25 new e-mails. It was all returned e-mail from various ISP's in reponse to my spoofed e-mails. I first thought my computer might be infected, but I ran several virus scans and found nothing. This probably means that someone I know is infected and the worm is using my e-mail address (among others) from his/her inbox to send out massive amounts of spam on my behalf. Of course, I have to then deal with the "message undeliverable" messages coming in by the tens from various ISP's. If you want to check specifically whether you have picked up any variant of the worm, you can can download a free scan from Symantec here.