<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 15, 2003

Blackout impressions 

I am back online finally after the blackout yesterday. Everything in New York had come to a stop. Trains, traffic lights, mobile phones, internet access, television, everything. It definitely served as a reminder as to how technology dependent we have become that something I would take for granted in India would bring New York to a grinding halt. I initially thought of it as a bit of a joke and thought everyone was making an unusually big deal of a power failure. Then I stepped out and saw the masses of people walking home as food and water began to run out. That combined with the 10 floor walk-up to my apartment convinced me that it was a big deal after all. I was also taking in some RISC-related lessons along the way about the inefficient way in which electricity production and distribution works in the U.S.

To the great credit of Manhattan-ites, after the initial problems, everybody just accepted that this was not a problem that was going to be solved soon and set about enjoying themselves as only New Yorkers can. The pubs were full, streets parties were everywhere. I also managed to take advantage of a clearer-than-usual sky to take in both the Perseids and Mars (which is at its closest point to earth in 60, 000 years).