<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 30, 2003

Vijay Mallya and politics 

I am extremely intrigued by Vijay Mallya's entry into politics. I really dont know what to make of it, though I did suspect he had some kind of political ambitions ever since I knew of his bankrolling the Asian Age's Bangalore edition. In a way, its very good news, especially if he manages to shake up the establishment a bit. I just wish he'd actually float a new political outfit rather than align himself with the tired old Janata Party. I have been strongly come around to the point-of-view that the time is right in India now to float an urban-centric, truly liberal, free market party -- socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Yes, it will not be a national alternative, but will have enough power from its ability to swing a coalition. And yes, I do believe that a party of this nature stands a chance simply because it will be ideologically articulate and honest. Maybe expecting Mallya to do this is asking for a bit much?